Sunday, June 5, 2011

Mom age 3

This is one of my favorite pictures of my Mom. It has a lot of glare and shadows on it because Dori snapped the picture while it was on the wall in a frame, but considering it was probably taken around 1946, I thought it looked pretty good. It is hanging in my Grandmothers room and I asked her about it when I visited her over Christmas. (I realize this is June but I just remembered I had this picture and I thought I would post it as a remembrance of her birthday this year)

So I asked my Grandmother about the picture and she said that the neighbor was a photographer and often asked to take pictures of my mom and her brothers. In the picture she is about three years old. I asked where the picture was taken and she said she thought it was taken in the neighbor’s basement…. But she wasn’t sure because she wasn’t there.

It was very hard not to have horror images flash in my mind from “The Butterfly Effect”… a movie that made me not let my own kids go anywhere for several weeks and still gives me the creeps when I think about it. I can’t imagine allowing any of my kids to go hang out in some neighbors basement while he took pictures of them that I wasn’t there to see….. but this was 1946. It was a different time.

When I look at this picture, the round face reminds me of Macy, but the eyes are different. This is before my mom broke her nose, so it is still cute. Mom fell out of a moving car when she was a little older and she never liked her nose after that. (It is a definite plug for why kids should always be seat belted) ….. Apparently cinders and rocks do not help the breathing process! It was also right before her brother’s found two long sticks and an old sheet and made a stretcher (they learned how while in the boy scouts). They wanted to try out the stretcher and mom wanted to be the first to ride on it. They insisted that it had to be used by an INJURED person. … so mom jumped off the roof of the barn and made her brothers quite happy.

Today would have been Mom’s 68th birthday. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment