Thursday, April 26, 2012

Standing on the bus



I was reading stories to a group of preschoolers while they waited for the rest of their class to finish lunch. One little boy was standing and looked somewhat distressed. I asked what was wrong and he told me he had a problem on the bus. I asked what the problem was and he told me that he stood up while the bus was moving and the bus driver told him that if he did it again she would have the principal kick him off the bus.

All the other students started telling me they never stood up on the bus, so in true speech therapist fashion I asked them why it was a bad idea to stand on the bus. They all came up with great reasons; you could bump your head into the window, or fall down onto the floor. One child mentioned that you could bump heads with someone else.

The boy who had been in trouble still looked distressed and I said to him, “Do you see why you shouldn’t stand up? You could get really hurt.” With a slight pause and tears in his eyes he replied, “None of those things are going to hurt as much as when the principal kicks me!”
......... A Friend of mine has a daughter is getting married. She told me exasperated, "My daughter is driving me crazy... she keeps asking me for a check for this and a check for that….. I am about checked out!" Its nice to know there is no expiration date on kids being able to drive ya' crazy! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment