Friday, May 20, 2011

Education

A friend of mine recently told me about her son’s first sex ed class in health. Although middle school aged boys are not always forthcoming with what they do at school, this young man shared a great story. He reported that the “sex education” consisted mainly of the PE teacher lecturing them on all the reasons never to have sex. It was mostly about how diseases could be caught and how an unplanned pregnancy could make a teen’s life very hard. The teacher then asked if anyone knew someone who had gotten pregnant. There was a long, uncomfortable pause until someone in the class raised his hand and said that his mother had been pregnant. ☺


In Sunday School Dill has been learning Hebrew. He was showing me all the words he knew and was writing a wide variety of Hebrew symbols, which I thought was quite impressive. He and I had a conversation about Hebrew, here is how it went:

Dill: “Ya know, Hebrew doesn’t have nouns like we do.”

Me: “They don’t have nouns? Then how do they say people, places and things?”

Dill: “Oh, they can do that. They just don’t have as many.”

Me: “They don’t have as many people, places and things?” I ask very confused about what his Sunday school teacher is talking about.

Dill: “Mom, are you listening to me?!” he says, frustrated.

Dill: “N-o-u-n-s,” he says slowly for me. Apparently I am dumber and deafer than he thought, “A_E_I_O_U and sometimes Y.”

Me: “Do you mean vowels?!” I ask, slightly less confused.

Dill: “Yes, in English its vowels… in Hebrew I think those are nouns.”

Ok son, thanks for clarifying that! ☺

No comments:

Post a Comment