Monday, February 13, 2012

Why would I be ok with it?

The other day I ran into someone that I do not see very often, but we are friends on Facebook so we keep up on the happenings in each other’s lives. She told me she had read lots about my kids and was happy they were doing so well. I said thanks. Then she said, “So, are they all straight?” This sort of surprised me since Dill is 10 and still thinks girls have cooties. “I have no idea,” I said. Then she said, “Well, I am sure it is good that they know you’re ok with it if they are.” This sort of stopped me for a minute. “Why would I be ok with it?” I asked. “Well,” she said, “because you’re gay.” She had my full attention now. I said, “True, but it would be like wishing for my kids to have a hearing impairment or be learning disabled just because I was. It’s just another hurdle to have to jump, who wants that for their kids?!” She didn’t say anything so I added, “Why would I want them to not be able to share insurance, have recognized marriages, get social security or death benefits if something happened to their partner? Why would I want them to have to lie to medical professionals so they can have their opinion count in medical decisions?” I think my response surprised her. She just sort of said, “Yeah, well that’s true.” I told her, “I don’t think parents ever think that their kids’ partners are good enough for them. When my kids fall in love with someone~ whoever it is, they just better treat them right.” I hope my kids all know that they are strong enough to overcome whatever hurdles they do have in their lives, that good relationships are never easy but worth the effort and that I love them unconditionally. ☺

No comments:

Post a Comment