Thursday, May 13, 2010

More cute things kids say…

I was working on naming common objects with my students this week. I showed them a picture of an object, they had to tell me what the object in a picture was and then tell what that object is used for. Got a lot of cute responses, here are a few of my favorites… An American Flag… Little girl said, “That is easy it’s a miracle flag!!” A piano… Little boy said… “You type on the white and black squares to make music.” For thermometer… (I had two favorite answers for this one) “It’s a temperature… it tells your Mom if your forehead is sick.” “If the stick gets hot then you have to stay home from school, if the stick gets cold then you just have a cold and can go” These things all remind me when Dori was very young. I asked her why she was standing on our bathroom scale one day and she told me she was checking to see how hot the bottom of her feet were! ☺

Part of my screening requires students to repeat a phrase exactly the way I say it. One of the phrases is "Don't cross the street without looking both ways." My young friend said it perfectly, even getting the intonation correct. Before I could ask the next question, he said, "That happened to my cousin. She got hit." I asked what happened. The little boy said, "My cousin ran into the street and got killed." I said, "Oh, that is so sad! I am sorry to hear that you lost your cousin that way." Apparently, I must have looked distressed because he got a pained expression on his face and said, "its ok, I got a lot a cousins."

No comments:

Post a Comment