Thursday, March 31, 2011

The Club

This morning, a little girl started waving at me as I was walking down the hallway of my school. I was running late and had already been stopped by a teacher who wanted to tell me about a speech concern and a parent of one of my students who was looking for homework for over our spring break. I still had my coat on and had not even reached my office yet. She kept waving as we walked toward each other and I gave a little half wave back and smiled at her. As she gets closer to me I realize I have no idea who she is. She is not on my caseload or anyone that I recognize. She keeps waving and smiling at me as she passes me she says, “See you at the club!”

It dawns on me that she is taking about the after-school tutoring program that our building runs twice a week. I am not really involved in the program. All I do is gather the kids from their classrooms, organize them in the cafeteria, take attendance and give them a snack.

It is probably one of my least favorite things about my day….. no, it isn’t even that. It is a “non-thing” as I do not consider it part of my day, it is just the last thing I need to do before I go home.

The look on this little girl’s face really impacted me all day. She looked so happy to see me. She had this cute little grin that said, “I know her” or “this lady is in my life.”

It makes me wonder how many lives we touch without even realizing it. There are occasions that I try hard to leave an imprint, just to realize that sometimes the imprint that leaves the biggest mark isn’t one I even meant to make. ☺

No comments:

Post a Comment