Thursday, June 28, 2012

New shoes



I got new running shoes today. Once I had picked the ones I liked the salesman asked if I’d like to wear them out of the store. Without hesitation I said, “No, put them in the box.” He looked at me surprised since I told him the ones I wore in were uncomfortable.

I realized as I was leaving that the reason I said no was because I had never been allowed to wear shoes out of the store as a kid. We always had to keep them in the box until we got home. I once asked my Mom why were never allowed to wear them home and she explained that she liked my father to see them before we scuffed them up and couldn’t return them.

It is amazing that the behaviors we learn as children stay with us… long after anyone has to double check and give approval for new shoes to be worn! J

No comments:

Post a Comment