Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Mosquito’s Part 2


It’s interesting how a person’s priorities can change in the blink of an eye. I was sitting in my comfy chair last night, my only complaint was the mosquito bites I had on my arm from the walk Pepper and I took with Kirby that were itching me like crazy. My phone rang and I saw that it was a number I did not recognize. I answered it with my irritated “I-do-not-want-to-buy-whatever-you-are-selling” voice.

The woman on the other said, “Are you Dori’s mom?” Instant panic. Dori was somewhere south on a motorcycle trip with her uncle.

After I said yes, the woman told me she was at the scene of an accident involving a truck and a motorcycle. Dori and her Uncle were hurt and an ambulance was on the way. She said her family was traveling along the road and saw the accident happen. She said Dori was conscious and wanted to talk to me.

The woman stayed on the phone with me over 45 minutes. She told me when the ambulance came and then handed her phone over so I could answer health questions for the paramedics, after that I spoke to a state trooper about the incident report. This woman told me what was happening when they shut down the highway and when the life flight helicopters arrived. I got the play by play of everything that was happening from this woman and before Dori flew off to the hospital, she told Dori for me that I loved her. For those 45 minutes she was the only link I had to Dori, when she really needed me….. and through the whole thing I never felt one mosquito bite itch.

Thank you Karen from Boston….
At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another. Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have re-ignited the flame within us. ~Albert Schweitzer



No comments:

Post a Comment